Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Tragi-Comedy of Shannon Schinagl: Part 6

Friday.  Moving Day.  Well, Moving Day assuming all went well.

My Mom called periodically to give me updates.  Amazingly, everything went smoothly, even the hoisting, until the end.  I was in a meeting when one of my colleagues called to say my Mom was on the phone.  Oh, dear.  Something must really be wrong if my Mom called the library number.  She told me that the head mover wanted the extra money for the extra guys right now.  That very minute.  I had assumed I would be billed, or they would add the cost to my credit card.  This head mover -- get ready -- threatened my Mom by getting belligerent and threatening to have all of my stuff moved back down to the moving van if he didn't get paid right then and there.  He actually said that!

To add insult to injury, as my Mom was on the phone with me figuring out what to do, the head mover informed her that another half-hour had just ticked by, so the cost just went up as they were sitting there.

My Mom hopped in the car, raced to the library, I wrote a check, she zoomed back to the movers, and they left.

What assholes!  Actually, she said the movers were extremely nice, except for Patrick, the head mover.  Again, this was Andresen Movers.

Well, at least I had my stuff.  All my stuff!  Which was everywhere!


You can bet we moved a few of these boxes.  They're blocking part of the almighty air conditioner!




A bed!  A bed!  My air mattress was really, really nice as air mattresses go, but...a bed!




Sterling is still behaving, and quite enamored with all of the boxes and furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment