Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Tragi-Comedy of Shannon Schinagl: Part 3

Thankfully, the rest of Sunday was quite uneventful, including Sterling's behavior.  What is going on?

Monday morning, at the crack of dawn, I called the orthopedic doctor, hoping to get an appointment that day.    Success!  Until they realized I didn't yet have a Primary Care Physician to refer me.  Apparently the ER doctor was not enough.  Not success.  Then I started melting down on the phone, saying that I didn't want to delay going to the orthopedic doctor by trying to find a doctor in town, making an appointment there, going there, and then getting a referral to go to the orthopedic doctor.  The person on the phone took pity, consulted with someone else, and decided Blue Cross/Blue Shield would probably let meet a referral retroactively.  Success!  So we loaded up Sterling and "moved" into my place!  Finally!  Why is "moved" in quotes, you ask?  That would be because we moved in with an air mattress.  And suitcases.

We left Sterling trying to find a place to hide (not much choice with nothing but an air mattress) and headed off to the doctor.  The doctor confirmed that my foot was broken and told me that it would have to heal itself.  With this break, there was really nothing they could do.  And so I got the boot.


And then, off I went to work.  Everyone at work has been so nice.  Apparently there have been a lot of various foot ailments, because I've been getting a lot of advice and sympathy.  The people in the Children's Room, especially, have been going far out of their way to keep me from standing and walking.

While I was at work, my sweet Mama was -- can you guess? -- at the laundromat spending more than $30 and almost six hours washing every single thing that can possibly be washed to get the skunk smell out.  Had you forgotten that part of the story?  She did an amazing job, and all of the clothes were odor free.  Unfortunately, everything else still stunk: the suitcases, our shoes, magazines, books.  Basically everything that wasn't washable.  Those items would just have to air out over time, or we would have to go over them with Clorox wipes.

After the laundromat, my Mom picked me up from work, we both went home and fell fast asleep.

**************************************

How will Sterling adapt?

How will Shannon adapt?

Will anything else go wrong?

Read on!

No comments:

Post a Comment