Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Tragi-Comedy of Shannon Schinagl: Part 5

Wednesday!  Wednesday was a Big Day!  The movers were arriving!  I felt insanely guilty leaving my Mom to deal with the movers while I went to work, but I didn't have much of a choice.

I had barely arrived at work when my cell phone rang.  (My work has been very accommodating about my cell phone.  They know I am in the process of moving, and they know I have been a walking [somewhat] catastrophe.)  The movers had arrived, but they had determined that four items would not fit up the stairs.  They would come back on Friday.

What?!?!  Here's where I started to get pissed off, and the phone calls came fast and furious.  I had told everyone who would listen, who was part of the moving company, that my stairs were narrow.  Everyone.  Over and over.  They should have been prepared for this situation.  They should have sent someone over to my place to see just how narrow the stairs were.  (Answer: narrow.)  I had been told that local guys would meet the movers to help hoist those large items over the porch.  The local guys were, apparently, very used to this.

I was told that I would have to pay extra for the hoisting equipment and the extra guys.  What?!?!  Even though I had told people over and over how narrow the stairs were?  You see, I had signed a "binding agreement," which meant the movers could not increase the price even if my load weighed more than had been estimated.  However, apparently I was the only one bound.  The moving company certainly wasn't.

Folks, I was mean on the phone.  Flat out mean.  It was very hard for me, because I am not usually mean.  But I was truly pissed off.  Did my meanness have any effect?  No.  The movers would be there Friday, and I would pay extra for hoisting and the extra guys.  The woman on the phone had the gall to ask, "So, does that work for you?"  Duh.  I replied, "Well, of course it does NOT work for me, but apparently I don't have a choice if I want my belongings, do I?"  This was met with silence.

May I state here that this was Andresen Movers.  Got that?  Andresen Movers.  Do not use them.  If you hear about someone considering them, dissuade them.  Andresen Movers.

Sterling was still behaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment