Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Tragi-Comedy of Shannon Schinagl: Part 7

Friday night, after a full day of work for me, and the trauma of the movers for my Mom, we went to bed pretty early.  We were both awakened by a violent storm that seemed to come out of nowhere.  Thunder, lightning, vertical rain -- it was all there!  As I lay in bed, there was a deafening explosion accompanied by huge flash, followed by what sounded like another explosion and fireworks.

I ran to the window to discover that lightning had struck a tree in the neighbor's yard, and part of the tree fell on the power lines, pulled them all down, and fell across the street.  Immediately we lost power.  No fans, no AC.  Sigh...

About an hour later the rain was over, and we had an hour of chainsaws chopping up the tree and being loaded on to a truck.  Fast, huh?  I've heard the Mayor lives on my street. Ha!

The next morning we learned that not only had the tree pulled down the power lines, but because the tree was right next to the house, it yanked the power box right off my house.  The power box that houses all of the power wires, cable lines, and phone lines.


Poor, huge tree.  One-third gone in an instant.



The remnants of our house of wires.

Well, it's been hot as all get out here, with about 1,000 percent humidity, so my Mom and I were not about to stay home.  We ran a morning and afternoon of errands, came home, and voila!  Power!  Yahoo!

At this point, my Mom started twitching.  She wanted to unpack boxes so badly (those of you who know her know how much those full boxes affected her), but we were limited in what we could do.  The construction guys had packed all of their stuff away into the three living room closets and we still had no kitchen.

I unpacked my desk, and my Mom hung art. What, you say?  Your Mom hung art?  Yes, she did.  My place looks like a bomb went off, but art is hanging on the walls!

Sterling was still behaving and, in fact, thrilled with all of the boxes and furniture.  She is treating it like her personal playground, and reveling in her ability to squeeze into places we can't.

***********************************

Will Shannon and her Mom be able to unpack any more boxes before Mom can't take it any more?

Will Sterling continue behaving?

Keep reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment