Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Tragi-Comedy of Shannon Schinagl: Part 1

Last Friday I was out of underwear.  Half of this story was caused by simply needing underwear.  For those of you who know about my obsession with toilets, poop and underwear, this probably seems appropriate.  But really, this is a bit much.

I was still staying with a kind lady here in Newburyport until the floors and painting in my new home were done.  I gathered up my laundry and started down into the basement.

The stairs are old and steep, and toward the bottom there is a small landing, and the stairs turn 90 degrees.  The bottom stair going down toward the landing is a board.  A 2x8.  Laying flat.  Holding my laundry, I didn't see the board, and I was already turning my foot to go down the rest of the stairs.  I stepped on the side of the board and completely twisted my foot.  I shook it off, limped over to the washer, and assumed it would just get better if I walked on it.

When I got upstairs, took off my shoe, and really looked at it, the outer side of my left foot was beginning to swell.  My Mom and I decided I had sprained it, so we put ice on it.  I went to bed assuming it would be almost completely healed by morning.

Now, in the middle of the night I woke to an incredibly strong and awful smell.  My Mom woke, too, and we decided it smelled like someone was frying a ton of onions, but burning them.  Of course, we couldn't figure out why someone would be poorly frying onions in bulk in the middle of a Friday night, but who knows?  Maybe it's a hangover cure.

When we woke up the next morning, Saturday, the smell was the first thing we experienced.  My Mom decided it now smelled like burning rubber, and I don't mean car racing!  It smelled like someone had piled up a hundred tires and lit them on fire.  Granted, that's illegal, and it doesn't seem like something the good people of Newburyport would do, but we couldn't figure out what else it could be.

My ankle still hurt, and it was a bit more swollen, but I decided that was just because I hadn't iced it during the night.  I had things to do and places to go, and really couldn't be bothered.

We had to get to the pet-friendly Red Roof Inn, because Sterling was arriving on Sunday!

*******************************

What is wrong with Shannon's foot, and will it get better?

What on earth is that smell?

And will Sterling arrive intact?

Read on to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment