Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Spelling Pet Peeve

I hate silly store spellings.    All of the "Ye Olde..." blah, blah blah stores that were founded in 1985, and the "K"'s that replace "C"'s, like "Kozy Korner" or something, drive me insane.  It is not cute.  It is poor spelling.

Right around the corner from the library is this:


What is going on here?  If this is actually a word, someone tell me.  I just looked it up in Merriam-Webster's and the Oxford English Dictionary, and this word is not in either.  If you're not in the OED, you simply aren't a word.

Is this salon better because it starts with two letter "A"s?  Every time I see it, in my head I say "ahhhhhqua."

Argh!  Why, why, why?  Why is this better?  The owner could still have made the first "A" all swirly and pretty.  What is gained by the second "A"?

I am going to have to start walking other routes simply to avoid this sign and keep from getting too pissed off and disturbed.

1 comment:

  1. you are funny! I'm with you on crazy spellings... I remember in college vowing to never buy a Prizm, b/c if it can't even spell it's on name right, how good a car could it be?

    In this case, I'm sure the extra is indeed intended to convey the "Aahhh" thought. Having your business name start with double As doesn't hurt from a yellow pages point of view either. I'm loving reading all your funny small town life snippets!

    ReplyDelete