Saturday, August 4, 2012

I'm the Paranoid and Suspicious One?

Well, I've never asked, but I don't feel like my friends and family would label me as paranoid or suspicious.  However...

At my new library, I was learning the various policies.  In this case, I was learning about lost items.  My colleague was giving me examples of the few extenuating circumstances in which we might wave fees for lost items.  These included things such as car theft, break-ins or fire.

As per the policy of my old library, I asked if we required a police report as proof.

"Um, no," said my colleague.  "We generally take their word for it."

Huh.

"So," I followed up.  "Have you had patrons with chronic "break-ins"?

"No, we really haven't," replied my colleague, looking at me askance.

Everywhere I turn in this library, I find I'm expecting patrons to manipulate the system and behave badly.  I fear it's going to take me a while to assume the best of them.  How pathetic!  I'm so glad I'm here.  Apparently I am the paranoid and suspicious one.

No comments:

Post a Comment