Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Australian State Libraries

Okay, I'm going to admit that I haven't been to many state libraries in the U.S. So, what I think and assume is based on what I've heard, what little I know, and what Jim tells me. I think in the U.S. state libraries are repositories for information, very archival. They have librarians who help and oversee libraries throughout the state, provide grants, etc.

Well, all of that happens here, too, but the two state libraries we've seen so far -- in New South Wales and South Australia (Adelaide) -- are totally used by the public! I wish I had taken pictures. Both days were were at the State Library of NSW, the library was packed. I mean, every single seat was taken, people were sitting all over the floors, high schoolers and college students were working on group projects. And, except for young children, every age group was there: teens, college students, business people, adults, homeless people, etc.

Today, we are in the State Library of SA, and it's the same! Patrons were actually waiting outside the library for the doors to open, and the library is packed with the public.

Also, the libraries offer a lot for the general public: free wifi (this may not sound like much, but in Sydney, this was the ONLY place we found free wifi -- even the Starbucks charged), lots of seating and tables, tons of research material, internet access computers, and more.

Anyway, it's very cool, and very different, I think, from the role of the state libraries in the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment