Sunday, December 15, 2013

Butterflies, Butterflies!

The largest Butterfly House in the world, Butterfly Wonderland, just opened in Phoenix, so my Mom and I went.  Holy cow, what an experience.  If you are ever anywhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, you must go.  It was amazing.

When you first enter, you see a quick movie about the migration of Monarch butterflies.  After that, you go into a hall and see a line of amazing cases.  Every case is full of cocoons (moths) and chrysalises (butterflies).  What is beautiful is that some of them were empty, some were full, and some were actively hatching.  It was so cool.

And then, into the indoor rainforest!  We were told there were at least 2,500 butterflies and moths in there!  The other thing they told us was to watch every step.  The butterflies are apt to land right on the paths.  My Mom and I found that we walked in a paranoid fashion for about an hour after we left.


This guy hitched a ride on my back for a good 15 minutes as I walked around.


They really like fruit.



A couple landed on my Mom, too.






Another landed on my shoulder, and he was perfectly placed for me to take a close-up:


Strangely, outside the rainforest, Butterfly Wonderland had other attractions, such as a pool of rays that you could pet, some beehives with tunnels to the outdoors so the bees can go in and out, and…fish!  Such as these smoochy fish (official name -- ha!) that my Mom couldn't resist.


And now, some random pictures of butterflies that you can skip if you are bored.


See?  Pesky butterflies on the pathways.























No comments:

Post a Comment