Sunday, November 1, 2009

Catch Up

Sorry, everyone! I am still alive and well. I didn't have much internet access in Tasmania, and I was busy and exhausted in Melbourne. Now I am in Perth on actual vacation, so I'll be able to catch up.

The rest of our stay in Tasmania was fantastic. Our workshop in Launceston went very well, and we loved everyone we met. Jim was thrilled to be able to do his workshop in the children's area of the Launceston Library, and attracted quite a group of people wondering what on earth was going on!

The day after our workshop, we each actually did a small story time/concert at the Launceston Teddy Bears' Picnic. 2,000 people attended (!), and we had a wonderful time sharing songs and stories with them! We didn't have 2,000 people at our story times, let me make clear. The Teddy Bears' Picnic was spread throughout an entire park, and there were different activities all over the park. Our story times and concerts were one activity the kids could choose. We had a nice group each time. It was truly amazing how many people came out, though. Launceston is not a large city, and this event was on a Tuesday morning. Given that, 2,000 people is a LOT!

We were also in Tasmania for a very special, but sad event. Nella, our hostess and children's librarian at the Launceston Library, has resigned. She is going to start a new life working in a bookstore! We visited her bookstore (and I went crazy buying books), Fuller's, and I think she is going to love her new job! The bookstore doesn't currently cater much to children. The children's area is quite small, and they do almost no programming. Nella has been brought in to change all of that. How fun, to build a children's area almost from the ground up! Anyway, Nella's retirement luncheon occurred after the Teddy Bears' picnic, and we were lucky enough to attend. Nancy Stewart added to it by singing Nella her children's librarian song. If you haven't heard it, and you work with children, you will be in tears by the end of the song. I'll see if that song is on Nancy's website, and include a link to it later.

Basically, we loved Launceston, Tasmania, and Nella and Richard. I'll add a few more details later, but now I am off to explore the city of Perth and go to the zoo with Jane! Believe it or not, I haven't seen a kangaroo yet. Seriously, aren't they supposed to be hopping all over Australia? :) Just kidding, Aussies.

Oh! And more pictures soon. I left my laptop power cord in Launceston, but lovely Nella is mailing it to Jane's, so I should have it tomorrow and be able to rescue my pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Shannon!
    I'm back home, safe and sound. The trip back was uneventful but VERY long! Jim and I felt like lottery winners with an empty seat between us on the 14 hour trip home. Just a warning... the transfer from in Sydney from domestic to international took us the full 2 hours we had in between flights! So don't dilly dally!
    I'll be waiting with baited breath to see a picture of that kangaroo! Have fun and try to get some rest. You're going to need it!! Thanks for being a fantastic travel and work mate. I already miss your chocolate adventures!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete