Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Perth Mint

My day began in a beautiful way. Jane had made an appointment for me to get a facial at the International School of Beauty in Perth. I had a 90-minute facial that was so lovely that I was barely able to function afterward! All for $35!

Then Jane and her Mum picked me up, and we went to Fremantle to have fish and chips for lunch. We toured around a bit, but my favorite part of the day was visiting the Perth Mint. The Perth Mint doesn't make Australia's circulating money; they make collector coins and special edition coins. And...it made the medals for the 2000 Sydney Olympics! We actually saw a gold pour. We learned all about how to melt gold, and then a gentleman pulled a crucible of pure liquid gold out of the furnace and poured it into a mold of a gold bar. The gold bar was solid in 20 seconds (!), then he put it in water to continue cooling, and in less than 2 minutes he could touch it with his bare hands. It was wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment