Tuesday, November 8, 2011

An Odd and an End

Here are just a few things that I've forgotten to mention over the course of my trip, but that I found in my notes.

- I've lived in Seattle for 11 years now, and sometimes I don't notice things that are peculiar to Seattle until I'm out of town. Here in Chicago it's pouring down rain, and every single person in Chicago is carrying an umbrella. As I walked down the Magnificent Mile I felt like I was the prince in "Sleeping Beauty" as he chopped through 100 years of thorny vines to get to the castle. With every step I took, I was afraid I'd lose an eye. Seattle may not be the heart of the fashion world, but three cheers for raincoats with hoods and leaving umbrellas at home! Geez Louise.

- I'm not sure I mentioned the intersection crossing times in Charlotte, NC. In downtown Charlotte, pedestrians have between 40-60 seconds to cross a normal-size intersection. It was forever! I could have ambled across those intersections. I could have meandered. I could have crawled across those intersections! Wow!

- Here in Chicago, I am staying at the Best Western Plus River North. They provide free wifi here! I bring this up because a lot of hotels charge a fee. I think that is so weird. Don't they know that I can probably find a coffee shop, bookstore, or cafe within a block that would provide free wifi? Yes, it's a little less convenient to go to one of those places, but for some people, it's worth it. When every little hole-in-the-wall place providing free wifi these days, I feel like hotels are very behind the times. Good job, Best Western!

No comments:

Post a Comment