Tuesday, October 18, 2011

And so it begins...

With a trip to New Zealand not working out, but with a month of vacation on the books, I decided to buy a 30-day USA Rail Pass with Amtrak. Planning this thing was like planning...well, I don't know what, but something with a lot of logistics. The trickiest bit was working around the number of travel legs I was allotted: 12. Trust me, 12 is not a lot when it often takes multiple legs to get anywhere.

Saturday afternoon (10/15) my friends Taffy, Aaron and their two sons drove me to the Seattle King Street Station to embark on my big adventure! Issue Number 1: we were blocked by the big Occupy Wall Street protest parade downtown. I don't know how many people were involved, but as we watched them cross the street light change after light change, I swear it seemed like 10,000. Protestors, I completely back your cause, but seriously, tying up traffic downtown while you walk around is not going to win you any love. Could you please stay in one place? Or at least wait while the light changes? You nearly gave me a heart attack.

After some creative driving on Taffy's part, we made it to the train station where I promptly discovered Issue Number 2: I left my purse at home. My purse, with my non-replaceable 30-day Rail Pass, my ID, my wallet, my cash, and my phone. At this point, I nearly had a stroke on top of my heart attack. So Taffy and Aaron drove like NASCAR champs back to my place (while skillfully avoiding the protestors), grabbed my purse, and actually made it back in time for me to catch the train! Taffy even came in with me because I must have looked wild-eyed and crazy. I got my tickets, but it was too late to check baggage.

We ran down the platform to my car, and this is where things began to fall into place. My sleeping car attendant, Noelani, was the perfect person to meet me. She calmed me down while I was acting like a total spaz, put my luggage on board, I gave Taffy a hug, and Noelani walked me to my roomette (watch the little movie!).

At this point, I'd like to profusely thank the Gallagher-Zapf Family for saving me. I really, really hope Sterling didn't pee on you Saturday night. I really owe you, and will even take care of your chickens again, that's how much I owe you (more on that later). I love you guys!

Noelani, in some sort of ESP mind-reading, somehow knew I'd be in a panic, because she had set my roomette up with a bottle of champagne and chocolate. (If anyone from Amtrak is reading this, please give Noelani a raise.) I was utterly enchanted with my roomette. It was the cutest little thing! It had two big seats facing each other, a huge picture window, two little shelves, and a little folding table (and champagne and chocolate). As I finally began to calm down, the train left at exactly 4:40pm. Exactly. I know this because there was a big digital clock outside the window, and at the stroke of 4:40, we began moving. Impressive, Amtrak!

Soon after we left, one of the dining car attendants came by to take my dinner reservation. Oh, yes. My dinner reservation. Champagne, chocolate, my own roomette, and dinner reservations. I was beginning to feel just a little bit snooty!

Then I explored. On my floor there were four roomettes and two larger rooms. There were also three bathrooms and a shower/dressing room. The cool thing was that the bathrooms were all at the opposite end of the car, so I had easy access to the bathrooms, but didn't have to smell them or hear people going in and out! I went upstairs where there were a TON of rooms. I don't even know how many. I learned I actually access the dining car from upstairs, not downstairs.

When my dinner reservation came around, I went to the dining car. The dining car is communal dining. Each table has four seats, and they fill each table. The trend over the course of the ride was that I ate with a couple and another single person. Almost everyone was really nice (not you, Mr. Cranky Breakfast Guy), and it was interesting to discover the sort of connections I made. For example, the couple I had dinner with were in Seattle visiting their daughter, who just got her MLS but couldn't find a job. She moved to Seattle with AmeriCorps.

All meals were included in my sleeping car cost, and I was shocked by how good the food was! I won't bore you with every menu, but here's what I had the first dinner: side salad, grilled salmon, veggies, rice and rolls, with cheesecake for dessert. Who knew?

That evening, Noelani turned my roomette into its nighttime set-up. The two chairs slid down to make a bed, and the mattress was hidden up in the bunk bed. She brought the mattress down, already made up with sheets and blankets. It was really comfy! It took awhile to get used to sleeping on the train. I had left my window curtains open to see the night sky, but quickly realized we often passed really bright lights, so those ended up closed. The rocking and sound of the train were actually very soothing, but the stops and starts woke me at first. All in all, though, it was very nice.

And that was Day 1! More to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment