Sunday, February 13, 2011

Volunteering

I'm sorry about the two-week lag between posts! My Dad came to visit from Pittsburgh. We had a great time, but I didn't get my blogging done.

In order to make up those weeks, the next two times I draw an activity that I've already done, I'll immediately draw another one.

The last time I blogged, I was going to join a group on Meetup.com. I honestly tried, but never got the e-mail from Meetup to confirm. In order to give it a good faith effort, I'll try again! I'm trying to join a chocolate group.

Exercise has been iffy. The week my Dad was here, I didn't get all of my exercise in, so my second allowable week of not exercising enough is gone. No more buffer zone!

Thanks to the advice of a coworker, I've been spending most of my work breaks walking. There are lovely neighborhoods near the library, and each break is 15 minutes. If I walk for both breaks, there's my 30 minutes right there! I've been listening to the "Artemis Fowl" books by Colfer. The reader is fantastic, and I'd forgotten how good those books are, so I actually look forward to my walks each day.

Okay, on to new business!

Two weeks ago I drew number 44: Find Your Volunteer Niche. I am very happy to say that I already volunteer! I'm in my second year of volunteering at the Seattle Animal Shelter. I love it! It's perfect for me. When I was looking at volunteer opportunities, I wanted to do something that didn't involve helping people. I know that sounds awful, but I help people all day at work, and just didn't think I could do that even more on my off hours. At SAS, I'm on the Critter Team. This is the group that works with all of the animals that are not cats and dogs. I've learned about so many animals! We've had rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, chincillas, lizards, snakes, goats, pigs, chickens and roosters, and even a peacock! It's so fun.

Okay, let me draw another number. Ladies and gentlemen, presenting number 25: Polish Up Your Resume. Hm. This is a good one. I'll work on this and have a shiny resume to present next week!

I'm going to start another related project, too. For a while, I've been thinking that I should create an online portfolio. This will be a lot of work, and not something I can do in a week, but polishing my resume will be a good motivator to start a portfolio. Like exercise, I'll keep you apprised of this project.

A word about my Dad's trip. We had such a good time! For my birthday, we went to Teatro Zinzanni. I had been wanting to go for years, and it was as amazing as I had hoped! If you live in Seattle, or plan to visit, make sure to go. It's expensive, but absolutely worth every penny!

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment