Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Obama Challenge

Happy New Year!

It's Week 1 of my big New Year's resolution: each week I will do one thing from U.S. News & World Report's "50 Ways to Improve Your Life in 2011."

I wrote that each week I would pull a random number out of a box to determine what suggestion I would tackle that week, but this week I am cheating. I'm going to start of with #2: The Obama Challenge.

Remember back in elementary school (maybe even middle and high school? I can't remember.) when we had to do the Presidential Fitness Challenge and do all of those tests? We had the 50 yard dash, sit-ups, the bent-arm hang, etc. Some people hated the Presidential Fitness Challenge. I didn't mind it, though I sure would have preferred to be playing a game instead. Anyway, Michelle Obama, as part of her "Let's Move" initiative, has created the "Obama Challenge" for grown-ups. But you don't have to do all of those tests! You just have to get moving for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, for 6 out of 8 weeks.

I'm going to sign up to accomplish the most typical of all New Year's resolutions: to exercise more. If you want to sign up with me -- we can all hold each other accountable -- sign up at Fitness.gov. I'll hold myself accountable to you by reporting my activities each week.

Speaking of activities, I thought I'd make a list of activities I like to do, so I have plenty of ideas and options:
  • Walking
  • Running
  • Rollerblading
  • Skechers Shape-Ups DVD
  • Water Aerobics
  • Hiking
  • Snowshoeing
  • Tai Chi

I'll add other options as I think of them.

Good luck everyone! I wish you a happy and healthy 2011. Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment