Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Books in Bloom: Or, How Shannon Got a Fish

The Newburyport Public Library Friends of the Library does the most amazing fundraiser called Books in Bloom.  The Friends partner with the Newburyport Horticulture Society.  People sign up to provide amazing flower and plant arrangements that reflect books.  The first floor of the library turns into a gallery of sorts.  Let me show you.  I was blown away!  Please click on the pictures to see bigger versions if you can't see the details.

It's the "Wizard of Oz"!  Don't you love the Yellow Brick Road?



We've got a little manga thrown in.  This is "Howl's Moving Castle."  What you can't see is that there are small lights in the arrangement slowly blinking on and off.



This next one requires multiple pictures to show the full genius of the display.  May I introduce "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland!"

The display as a whole -- a full tea!



A close-up photo: you can see that the characters have just left!


Poor rabbit: left his watch again!



"The Tale of Benjamin Bunny"



This one, "Little Tree" by e.e. cummings, was done by two of my colleagues, Melanie and Paula.


Paula is on the left, and Melanie is on the right.




My colleague, Melanie, also did this one with her friend.  She's highlighting the poem "Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes.  (Melanie loves poetry!)




Melanie's friend is on the left, and Melanie is on the right.



This one, based on the book "The Fairy Tale Princess," is made of paper, just like the illustrations in the book.  I won this one in the silent auction.  It's perfect for me, because I can't kill it!  Although Sterling could potentially eat it; she does love paper and cardboard.



Here we've got "When We Were Very Young" by A.A. Milne.




This was one of my very favorites: "Go Dog, Go!" by Eastman.  (As you can see, children's literature was very well represented.)



So imagine: you're walking along, looking all of these beautiful arrangements, many of which are based on children's literature.  Then, just when you've become complacent, BAM!  "Pet Cemetery" by Stephen King!




Here's a picture just to make you laugh.  We have a number of papier mache sculptures in the Children's Room that have been created and donated by local artists.  We also have a fish tank.  Some Friend who was setting up thought it might be fun to have our papier mache cat staring intently at the fish.  Ha!  (Though I will say that after the event we moved the cat away.  No need to cause fishy heart attacks.)



Another of my favorites: "Make Way for Ducklings" by Robert McCloskey.  Look at the cute little daffodil ducklings!



And here we have "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed.  This one was created by a group of library staff.



Two of the creators: Joyce in front, and Jane in back.



Another picture just to crack you up: yes, the check-out desk became the bar!



And now you're wondering, "But Shannon, what's with the title of this post?  Did you get a fish?!"  Why yes.  Yes, I did.

Check out this last arrangement:


I think this is absolutely brilliant.  It's "The Cat in the Hat," of course.  Look how they added an actual goldfish, the voice of reason in the book!  Luckily for me, this one was also up for auction.  I won it!  I left the hat in the Children's Room until it wilted (where it was ooo'ed and ahhh'ed every day), and took the goldfish home.  I named him Thing 1.

My colleague Lynn, who has had fish continuously since 5th grade, told me Thing 1 would be happier with a pal, so I got him one.


Of course I named the friend Thing 2.  That's Thing 2 on the left and Thing 1 on the right.

You may notice that the fish bowl is on the stove.  Fear not: that was just for the picture.  Plus, those of you who know me know that the fish really aren't in danger on the stove.  It's not used very often.  Ha!

Congratulations on making it all the way to the end of this post!  More to come.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon,
    It's Nancy from Seattle. We met last summer when I used your library for studying while I attended Harvard during the summer session. Wish I were studying in your library during this exhibit! How clever!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all very clever and pretty (even the graveyard scene). But, you know what I thought as I saw your prize?

    I thought it would make a most wonderful cake! Chocolate with custard filling and buttercream roses...yum!

    Yes, it's Taffy. I've tried to reach you via e-mail and phone, young lady. I was just about to call your mom when I decided to check your blog for activity. I see that you're still alive, so when do you want us to visit? I was all set for a road trip with the little guys this month, but airfare is WAY cheap in October. (I'm talking $230 RT cheap!) So, when do you want to see us? June or October?

    ReplyDelete