Monday, June 30, 2014

Am I in Seattle?

I am moving to Portland, ME.  (More on that in another post.)  I was apartment hunting, and when I went to see a potential apartment I realized that the Portland neighborhood of Munjoy Hill was eerily like Upper Queen Anne in Seattle.  I have photographic proof!

First of all, you must be familiar with Kerry Park in Seattle.  It's a park with an amazing view of downtown Seattle and Elliott Bay.  It's the view you see on a lot of Seattle postcards.

Kerry Park in Seattle:


The little park I found in the neighborhood of Munjoy Hill in Portland:


View of Seattle from Kerry Park:


View of Portland from this little park (keep in mind that Portland, ME, is a shorter city than Seattle, and doesn't have a volcano in the background):


Holy COW is it hard to find a view of Elliott Bay from Kerry Park!  Everyone is so enamored of the skyline, I guess, that they ignore the Bay, which is just as beautiful.  Anyway, I have NO idea who these people are; it's just the best image I found.  View of Elliott Bay from Kerry Park (the Bay is to the right of the skyline):


View of Back Cove from the little park (water is to the right of the skyline):


Okay, if you are in Kerry Park and facing the Seattle skyline, to the left is a set of stairs to take you down to the street; it's too steep for a path or street:


Same thing at this little Portland park:


At the bottom of the Kerry Park steps is a playground with a field, and then a great big house next to the field (I can't find a picture that includes the house):


No playground, but field next to a big house at the bottom of the Portland park steps (and, if I recall correctly, the house next to the Kerry Park steps is also blue):


Now, if you are at Kerry Park in Seattle, facing the skyline, and head to your left, you get to Queen Anne Avenue about a block or two away.  Queen Anne Avenue at that point is where all of the stores, restaurants, cafes, etc. are.


Same thing at this park in Portland!  Face the skyline, head left, and…TA-DA!


Anyway, I can't wait to move to Munjoy Hill in Portland, ME.  Obviously, I will feel right at home!  I hope I can remember which city I'm in.















No comments:

Post a Comment