Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Night Owl in a Daytime Town

I am a night owl.  I've pretty much always been.  This is why I love being a public librarian.  Most public libraries don't open until a reasonable hour, and they have lovely evening shifts that don't end until 8 or 9pm allowing me to really sleep in.

One thing I loved about my neighborhood in Seattle was that everything was open late at the least, and a lot of places were open 24/7.  I get a great second wind around 10pm, so loved grocery shopping, going to the drug store, and exercising somewhere between 10pm and 2am.

In Newburyport, 10pm is the latest anything is open.  It doesn't have the courtesy to even wait until I get that second wind!  Both grocery stores close at 10pm and even earlier on Sundays.  K-Mart closes at 10pm.  The one and only Starbucks closes at 8pm, and Dunkin' Donuts, which is Massachusetts answer to Starbucks (one on every corner), closes at 8pm!  Two of the drug stores close at...get ready...8pm!  The post office doesn't even have an APC (an Automated Postal Center), and I loved using the APC at night!  No lines to ship holiday presents.  Even a restaurant, Panera, closes at 8pm.

Two places cater to me: the McDonald's stays open until 2am and has wifi, and the CVS is open 24 hours.  The CVS will be a getting a ridiculous amount of my business.  What is a night owl to do?

I'm posting some pictures of the parking lots at two nearby shopping centers:


Keep in mind this is 10pm on a Saturday night.  Look at the parking lots!  Holy cow!  In this shopping center are a grocery store, a drug store, Radio Shack, K-Mart, and a couple of other stores.


This shopping center has another grocery store, another drug store, a Marshall's, and a mailing place.  The only place I can personally confirm is open is the laundromat (thanks to my broken foot), which is open until midnight.

I think that if I started a business, any kind -- a coffee shop, an arcade, a Dunkin' Donuts for heaven's sake! -- I could make a killing.  You should see the swarms of teenagers that are in CVS in the middle of the night.




No comments:

Post a Comment